250g dark chocolate drops
2 eggs, at room temperature, separated
180ml cream, lightly whipped
¾ cup Alison’s Pantry Hazelnuts, roasted and finely ground
¼ cup cacao nibs, to serve
Sticky Date Caramel:
100g Alison’s Pantry Gourmet Dates, chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place chocolate in a large, heatproof bowl. Microwave, uncovered, for 1 minute, stir and repeat 2-3 times or until fully melted. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Stir ½ cup hazelnuts (reserve ¼ cup for decoration) into the chocolate then add egg yolks and stir to combine.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk eggwhites in a bowl until stiff but not dry. Using a large metal spoon, fold half the eggwhites into the chocolate mixture then gently fold in remaining eggwhites. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon mixture into 16 shot glasses, dividing evenly. Place on a tray and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Place dates in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to simmer for 10 minutes, or until dates are soft and the liquid has reduced. Remove to cool. Add vanilla and puree in a blender until very smooth.
To serve, top with a dollop of sticky date caramel, sprinkle with cacao nibs and remaining roasted hazelnuts.
This recipe was created by Julie Le Clerc for Alison’s Pantry.