Christmas Cake with Figs, Ginger, Walnuts & Orange
Serves 8 – 10
This wholesome Christmas cake has a fantastic moist texture and is packed with figs, ginger, walnuts and zesty orange. Wonderfully simple to prepare, this cake would make a beautiful homemade gift.
2 cups spelt flour*
1 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted
1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
½ cup Alison’s Pantry Figs, roughly chopped
grated zest and juice of 1 orange
1 cup currants
1 cup Alison’s Pantry Walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
A pinch of sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ cup Alison’s Pantry Natural Almonds for decorating
*For a gluten-free cake substitute the spelt flour for buckwheat or all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 C, and grease a 23cm cake tin with coconut oil or line with baking paper.
- Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and mix until well combined. The mixture will be quite sticky, don’t worry!
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared cake tin, and smooth out evenly. Place the almonds on top, and gently press into the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Leave to cool in the tin completely before carefully transferring to a plate.
The cake will keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Download the PDF version here: Alison’s Pantry Christmas cake with Figs, Ginger, Walnuts & Orange
This recipe was created by Eleanor Ozrich for Alison’s Pantry.