Christmas Mince Pies with Almond Pastry
Makes 24 mini pies
To make gluten-free pastry, simply use wheat and gluten-free baking mix in place of ordinary flour in this recipe
125g butter, softened
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 small egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 cup Alison’s Pantry ground almonds
2 cups prepared Alison’s Pantry Fruit Mince – Kiwi Style (see Recipe)
Icing sugar, to dust
1. To make pastry, beat butter and sugar in a bowl, to just combine. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and almonds until mixture comes together into a ball. Turn pastry out onto a work surface and knead lightly until smooth. Form pastry into a disc, wrap well and chill for 1 hour until firm.
2. Lightly grease 2 x 12-hole mini muffin tins. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 3mm thick. Use an 8cm round cutter to stamp out 18 circles.
3. Press one circle gently into each muffin hole, prick bases with the tip of a skewer, then fill with the fruit-mince.
4. Cut 6cm circles from remaining pastry (re-roll scraps, if necessary) and use these to form lids to the pies. Cut out small star patterns before fitting lids, if desired. Press edges together to seal. Chill for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Download the PDF version here: Christmas Mince Pies with Almond Pastry