Christmas Panzanella with Brandy Custard
1 Earl Grey tea bag
1/3 cup Alison’s Pantry Choice Apricots, chopped
1/3 cup Alison’s Pantry Figs, chopped
1/3 cup Alison’s Pantry Cranberries
500g Christmas cake cut into cubes, toasted in the oven at 120°C for 5 minutes
1/2 cup Alison’s Pantry Roasted Unsalted Supreme Nuts
A few splashes of brandy to finish
- Place the water into a medium heat saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the Earl Grey tea bag and dried fruits. Allow to steep for 20 minutes then discard the teabag, strain the fruit while reserving the tea syrup.
- Place the Christmas cake, fruit and Supreme nuts into a mixing bowl and add a little of the reserved tea syrup to moisten, mix gently and set aside until needed.
Brandy Custard Ingredients
4 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl until pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in the milk and cream mixture then return to the saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the custard thickens and coats the back of the spoon, being careful not to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the brandy. Transfer to a serving jug and set aside until needed.
Pour a generous serving of Brandy Custard into a bowl and carefully arrange the Panzanella mix around one side of the bowl.
Serve with one final splash of brandy over the top of the Panzanella mix.
Download the PDF version here: Alison’s Pantry Christmas Panzanella with Brandy Custard
This recipe was created by Simon Gault for Alison’s Pantry.