250gm butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/3 cup Alison’s Pantry Blueberries, chopped
1/3 cup Alison’s Pantry Whole Cranberries, chopped
1/3 cup Alison’s Pantry Shelled Pistachios, chopped
1/3 cup Alison’s Pantry Natural Cashews, chopped
Extra: 1 cup Alison’s Pantry Vitality (if making Christmas Tree)
- In the bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy. Add flour and mix to just combine. Stir in dried fruits and nuts.
- Divide dough into two parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a log measuring 20cm long x 4cm round. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper. Cut logs into 1cm thick slices and place on baking trays. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove to cool on wire racks.
To Create a Christmas Cookie Tree
- Roll out prepared shortbread dough to 1cm thick. Cut out 9 circles graduating in size from 2.5cm to 12cm in diameter.
- Bake until firm and lightly browned around the edges. Watch carefully, as smaller circles will take less time to bake and larger circles will take longer, so adjust cooking time to suit.Remove to cool on wire racks.
- Once cold, layer up graduating circles starting with biggest cookie circle as a base. Scatter some Alison’s Pantry Heart Smart blend between cookies to separate layers and give height. Decorate tree, as desired (We used fondant icing snowflake cut-outs).
Download the PDF version here: Alison’s Pantry Fruit and Nut Shortbread
This recipe was created by Julie Le Clerc for Alison’s Pantry.