Turmeric Lentils & Sausages
- 3 tablespoons oil for sautéing
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cups Alison’s Pantry brown lentils
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can coconut cream
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 12 good quality pork and fennel sausages
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli. Sauté for five minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the ground turmeric, cumin, garam masala and fennel seeds. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the lentils, stock, water and tinned tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a rolling simmer, with the lid ajar. Cook for 45 minutes before adding coconut cream. Simmer for a further 20 minutes. Season to taste.
- Cook sausages according to the packet instruction.
Place a large ladle of lentils into bowls. Top with 2 sausages per person and garnish with fresh herbs as desired. Serve immediately.
Lentils will last up to four days in an airtight container in the fridge. Can be frozen for up to three months.
Recipe and photography by Kelly Gibney for Alison’s Pantry