Spiced Lamb with Apricots, Pinenuts & Pistachios
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
This speedy weeknight dinner has all the zing and flavour of a Middle Eastern
tagine but it’ll be ready to devour in a fraction of the time. It provides protein,
zinc, and iron plus a healthy serve of green goodness. A wonderful combination
for energy and immunity.
Try swapping out the lamb mince for beef mince or even free-range chicken mince. The Alison’s Pantry Pinenuts and Alison’s Pantry Shelled Pistachios could be traded for Alison’s Pantry Cashews, Peanuts, Sunflower Seeds or roughly chopped Pecans and Almonds.
The Alison’s Pantry Gourmet NZ Apricots could be swapped for Alison’s Pantry Prunes or Raisins.
I love this dish with green beans but you’ll enjoy it just as much with kale, silverbeet, or broccoli.
Vegetarians can make this dish meat-free by using one of the wonderful plant-based mince alternatives that are available at most supermarkets.
½ cup Alison’s Pantry Pinenuts
1 medium onion – finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves – finely chopped
500g lamb mince
1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala, dried oregano
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp red chilli flakes (adjust according to own preferences)
¼ cup of water
Zest of 1 lemon
40g Alison’s Pantry Gourmet NZ Apricots – each quartered (can also use Alison’s Pantry Choice Turkish Apricots)
200g green beans – trimmed and halved
Juice of 1 lemon
Large handful fresh parsley – roughly chopped
½ cup Alison’s Pantry Shelled pistachios
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Alison’s Pantry Couscous or Alison’s Pantry Quinoa to serve
Olive oil for sauteing
- Place the Alison’s Pantry Pinenuts in a dry saute pan over medium heat. Toast gently for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Heat a generous glug of olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook without browning for 5 minutes. Add the garlic at the last minute. Add the spices and cook for a further minute. Raise the heat to high, place the lamb mince in the pan, and use a wooden spoon to break it apart. Move frequently for a few minutes until well browned.
- Stir through the water, lemon zest, Alison’s Pantry Gourmet NZ Apricots, and green beans. Cook, moving frequently for 8-10 minutes until the beans are just tender.
- Remove from the heat. Toss through the lemon juice, parsley, Alison’s Pantry Pistachios, and Alison’s Pantry Pinenuts. Taste and season generously with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Serve with couscous or quinoa.