Spiced vegetarian ‘mince’ with Apricots, Pinenuts & Pistachios
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
This speedy vegetarian weeknight dinner has all the zing and flavour of a Middle Eastern tagine but it’ll be ready to devour in a fraction of the time. It provides protein, zinc and iron plus a healthy serve of green goodness. A wonderful combination for energy and immunity.
The Alison’s Pantry Pinenuts and Alison’s Pantry Shelled Pistachios could be traded for Alison’s Pantry Cashews, Peanuts, Sunflower Seeds or roughly chopped Pecans and Almonds.
The Alison’s Pantry Gourmet NZ Apricots could be swapped for Alison’s Pantry Prunes or Raisins.
I love this dish with green beans but you’ll enjoy it just as much with kale, silverbeet or broccoli.
½ cup Alison’s Pantry Pinenuts
1 medium onion – finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves – finely chopped
400g vegetarian “mince”
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp each ground coriander, garam masala, dried oregano, smoked paprika
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp red chilli flakes (adjust according to own preferences)
2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
¼ cup water
Zest of 1 lemon
40g Alison’s Pantry Gourmet NZ Apricots – each quartered (can also use Alison’s Pantry Choice Turkish Apricots)
200g green beans – trimmed and halved
Juice of 1 lemon
Large handful fresh parsley – roughly chopped
½ cup Alison’s Pantry Shelled Pistachios
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Alison’s Pantry Couscous or Alison’s Pantry Quinoa to serve
Olive oil for sauteing
- Place the Alison’s Pantry Pinenuts in a dry saute pan over medium heat. Toast gently for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden brown. Set aside to cool.
2. Heat a generous glug of olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook without browning for 5 minutes. Add the garlic at the last minute. Add the spices and cook for a further minute. Raise the heat to high, place the vegetarian mince in the pan, and use a wooden spoon to break it apart. Move around the pan for a few minutes.
3. Stir through the tamari, water, lemon zest, Alison’s Pantry Gourmet NZ Apricots, and green beans. Cook, moving frequently for 8-10 minutes until the beans are just tender.
4. Remove from the heat. Toss through the lemon juice, parsley, Alison’s Pantry Pistachios, and Alison’s Pantry Pinenuts. Taste and season generously with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
5. Serve with couscous or quinoa.