500g trifle sponge (available in supermarkets)
1/3 cup brandy
1/3 cup strong coffee
1 cup dark chocolate drops
2 cups (500mls) cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups Alison’s Pantry Superboost
Cocoa powder to dust
- Line a 2 litre capacity bowl with plastic wrap. Slice sponge into 5mm thick sheets, then cut sheets into long triangles. Arrange triangles in the bowl with the pointed ends at the bottom and the edges overlapping until the bowl is lined. There should be enough sponge left to cover the Zuccoto’s top.
- Drizzle sponge lining with combined brandy and coffee, reserving a little for the topping.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water or microwave in short bursts. Stir until smooth then set aside to cool.
- Whip cream then stir in vanilla and 1 Cup of Super boost. Spread 2/3rds of this mixture over sponge lining, leaving a hollow in the centre.
- Fold the cooled melted chocolate into the remaining cream mixture and use this mixture to fill the central cavity. Cover filling with remaining sponge to seal. Drizzle with remaining brandy and coffee.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap, then place a plate on top with a weight. Refrigerate overnight. Turn out, remove plastic wrap, dust with cocoa powder and decorate with remaining Super boost. Serve cut in wedges.
Download the PDF version here: Alison’s Pantry Zuccotto
This recipe was created by Julie Le Clerc for Alison’s Pantry.