Chicken & Kale Soup with Quinoa Dumplings
- 1 cup Alison’s Pantry quinoa, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup Alison’s Pantry ground almonds
- 1⁄4 cup white rice flour
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan
- Large handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Bunch kale, stems removed and torn into rough pieces
- 6 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups shredded roasted chicken meat
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and use a fork to mash together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll heaped teaspoons of mixture into balls. Place in the fridge for 30–60 minutes to firm.
- Heat a generous glug of oil in a large soup pot over a low heat.
- Cook the garlic, onion, carrot and celery for 10-15 minutes until the onion is translucent and tender.
- Add the fennel seeds, tarragon and lemon zest. Cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the kale and toss well with the vegetables.
- Pour in the stock and water. Bring to the boil.
- Add the shredded chicken and the dumplings (only as many as you will eat in that sitting – allow 4 per person). Simmer for 8 minutes.
Serve with a generous sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley.
Recipe and photography by Kelly Gibney for Alison’s Pantry