Steak and Quinoa Salad
600g your favourite cut of steak (eg; eyefillet, rump, sirloin) trimmed of fat and sinew
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons, plus 50ml, extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Alison’s Pantry Quinoa, rinsed and well drained
2 avocados, peeled, stoned and diced 3cm
1 roasted red capsicum, thinly sliced
6 Alison’s Pantry Dried Figs, sliced
½ cup Alison’s Pantry Brazil Nuts, chopped
3 tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
¼ cup Alison’s Pantry Pumpkin Seeds, toasted
Parsley leaves for serving
- Put the steak into a bowl and add the garlic and the 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.Reserve.
- Put the quinoa into a saucepan and add 1½ cups of water.
- Bring to the boil, cover, place on your stove’s smallest element, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cook without uncovering for any reason for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, without uncovering, for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff up with a fork. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, panfry or barbecue the steak the way you like it.
- Remove from the heat and rest for 5 minutes in a warm place.
- Put the quinoa, avocados, capsicum, figs, brazil nuts and tomatoes in a large shallow serving bowl.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain of the meat and place on top of everything.
- Mix the vinegar and the 75ml of oil, taste and season.
- Drizzle this over the steak.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and parsley on top and serve.
Recipe from Ray McVinnie for Alison’s Pantry Christmas booklet 2014
Download the PDF version here: Steak and Quinoa Salad