Vegetarian Chilli with Walnuts
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
1 onion, finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stems celery, diced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups vegetable stock
2 x 400gram tins chopped tomatoes
3 x 400g tin beans, 1 1⁄2 cups of cooked beans *
1 cup Alison’s Pantry walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Olive oil or coconut oil for sautéing
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat a generous glug of oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onions, chilli, carrot and celery. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often until the onion is tender and translucent. Add the fennel seeds and other spices. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 60-70 minutes until thickened. Add the walnuts and apple cider vinegar in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Season to taste with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
* We used chickpeas, black beans and kidney bean
Recipe and photography by Kelly Gibney for Alison’s Pantry